Before we moved to Germany, my husband found a great online foreign-language flashcard website, German-Flashcards.com. The same company has sites for different languages, but obviously, we wanted German practice.
Instead of making your own index card flashcards, you can go to this website where the words will be displayed for you. You can choose topics or themes, or the site can randomly select words for you based on your level. For an extra charge, you can even hear the audio for each word.
The company also sends you a daily sentence through email, and this is where the depressing part comes in. I don’t know who they hired to create the sentences, but some sentences are pretty disturbing and make me think the guy has been going through some sort of break up or something for the past year. I can never see myself using a lot of these sentences (I hope), but they provide Chris and me with daily entertainment. I thought I would share some of my favorites that German-Flashcards.com has sent to me:
- Gestern habe ich meinen Bruder im Gefängnis besucht.
- Yesterday I’ve visited my brother in prison.
- Ich frage mich wieso meine Frau immer runder geworden ist, seit wir geheiratet haben.
- I wonder why my wife gets rounder and rounder, since we married.
- Mir tut der Schwachkopf, der sich in dich verliebt jetzt schon leid.
- I pity the fool that falls in love with you.
- Ich möchte Schluss machen. Wir können aber Freunde bleiben.
- I want to split up. But we can still be friends.
- “Du bist so undankbar!”, sagte er wütend.
- “You are so ungrateful!”, he said angrily.
- Mein Leben war vollkommen bevor ich dich traf!
- My life was perfect before I met you!